top of page

Information for Non-local Students

Visa Application and Extension

Generally speaking, if you wish to study in Hong Kong and you do not have right of abode or right to land in Hong Kong, you need to apply for an HKSAR student visa. The Hong Kong Immigration Department normally issues student visas only to applicants who are enrolled in a full-time course in the University. Students may seek advice from the Admissions Office (AO) of the Registry on visa matters here.


Non-local students who have extended their study or whose limit of stay is shorter than the normal duration of their study programme should apply for a visa extension 4 – 6 weeks before their limit of stay expires.


For enquiries on visa matters, please contact AO at

Living in Hong Kong

  • Banking Arrangements

You are advised to open a bank account in Hong Kong. You will need to transfer money for immediate use when you arrive here. This can be done:

  • by instructing an overseas bank to send money in your name to a bank in Hong Kong;

  • by depositing travelers cheques or bank drafts in a local account (personal cheques can also be deposited but it may take as long as three weeks to be cleared).


  • Hong Kong Identity Card

Any visitor to Hong Kong (including a student coming from outside Hong Kong) who intends to stay for a period of more than 180 days is required by law to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card at the Registration of Persons Office of the Immigration Department. For further information, please click here.

Information Guide

CEDARS compiles A Glimpse of Student Life @ HKU and Non-Local Student Welcome Guide. You are encouraged to read these booklets to find out useful information for you.


For more information for non-local students, please visit this webpage

bottom of page